If you’ve been thinking this is the year you’re going to run for a seat on the Town of Webb UFSD Board of Education, now is the time to act.
One seat is up for election this year:
Candidate for a seat on the Board of Education – 5 year term (last incumbent) Sharon Evans commencing July 1, 2016
Any interested Town of Webb resident may pick up a petition from the District Clerk, Diane Kull, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. when school is in session.
The deadline for filing a petition is Monday, April 18, 2016.
The legal qualifications for school board membership, as defined by Education Law are as follows:
• Must be able to read and write (§2102).
• Must be a qualified voter of the District; that is, a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older, and not adjudged to be an incompetent (§§2102, 2012, 2502(7); Election Law §5-106(6). (Note a convicted felon is barred from running for a seat on a school board if his or her maximum prison sentence has not expired or if he or she has not been pardoned or discharged from parole (Elec. Law § 5-106(2)-(4)).
• Must be and have been a resident (but need not be a taxpayer) of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year.
• May not have been removed from a school district office within the preceding year (§2103(2)).
• May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family (§2103(3)).
• May not be a current employee of the school board (§2103(4).
• May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.