by Jason Pallotta, Asst. Chief; Inlet Vol. Fire Dept.
Each year in America, more than 150 people die from accidental non-fire related carbon monoxide (co) poisoning associated with consumer products.
These products include faulty, improperly used or incorrectly vented fuel burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters, and fireplaces.
Co, often called “the silent killer”, is a gas that you cannot see, taste, or smell.
It can be created when fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, coal, natural gas propane, methane, or wood do not burn properly.
Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, nausea, and drowsiness. Exposure to high levels of CO can be fatal.
Here are a few ways to avoid CO problems: Continue reading