— Part sEVEN —
While Hans managed the culinary operations, Oscar operated as host and performed the accounting chores.
The Holls strove intentionally to maintain a quiet and relaxed atmosphere at the hotel.
Guests were assigned a table with a waitress whose responsibility included insuring a newspaper and a tin of the guest’s favorite tea or vitamins were on the table. Continue reading
Last year, the Inlet Historical Society received over 300 plates made by the Holl’s Inn family commemorating their guests’ weddings and other celebrations held at the historic hotel over a period of 70 years.
Since then, a few have come forward and have recovered the memorial plate for their family.
Members of the Historical Society have put together a list of the names of the folks on the remaining plates, including the date of the special occasion. Continue reading
— Part six —
Holl’s Inn opened on July 1, 1935 and its initial name was “Holl on Fourth Lake.”29
Starting slowly, they soon began servicing South Shore camp owners who needed board for their overflow guests.
In 1937, Syracuse golf pro Jake Freiberg received a medal in Syracuse for his hole-in-one at the Inlet Golf Course.
He sent it to Oscar to have him frame it to hang in the hotel lobby because he credited his shot to the delectable vitamins in the hotel’s meals.30 Continue reading
The Inlet Historical Society has acquired a collection of wedding plates that once hung on the walls of the tavern area of the Holl’s Inn through a donation by Victor Holl.
Local historians Kristy Rubyor and Charlie Herr with a Rubyor wedding plate
From the early 1930’s, the owners of Holl’s Inn had a tradition of adorning the walls with commemorative plates inscribed with the date and names of those who held their weddings or anniversaries at the establishment.